Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Tuesday 8 February 2022

Bulbs Out, Bulbs In.

Quite grey this morning with the group of surfers back out catching the waves. It got brighter during the day then by the time I took the photos we were back to grey with a flash of pink over to the west.
I did take some photos in town with my back-up camera (Peter's old phone) or at least I thought I did but when I went to put them on my pc there was nothing. 155 old photos but none from today. No quite sure what happened there. If I had covered the lens there should have been black pictures but nothing. So all I can offer are these rather blurry evening photos.
My first stop in town was to drop off the wood and branches at the dump, I so love clearing stuff away. Next I went over to Morrison's. Shock horror, they've added another 50p to the price of the kilo bag of prunes which is a 10% increase. The price of everything keeps on going up and up. I noticed that the shelves were looking sparse on basics like flour, maybe people are doing more home cooking in order to save money. Talking of price rises I don't understand why governments don't do something about the increasing cost of energy. The main companies try and convince us it is all down to the pandemic or the Russians but both Esso and BP have recently announced record profits in the billions. And where does the profit come from? The consumer who is being forced to pay more and more with UK customers about to get a 50% hike in their electricity bills. 
Right, rant over and back to my humdrum day. After Morrisons I went to Charlie's to look at planters (and take non-existant photos) and then into B&M 'cos you never know what you might find in there. None of the planters were quite what I wanted; plain, straight sided non textured troughs, even if money was no object. There were some grey ones but they only came in cubes and would cost about £200 to cover 3m. I had better luck in B&M and picked up 4 packs of allium bulbs reduced to half price (99p each). These were the big 'drum stick' alliums that I had growing in the scree garden at Dingles, mixed white and purple rather than just the purple ones. These are the 'bulbs in' reference.
From there I drove to the centre of town and did a bit more shopping at Lidl and then a quick visit to the bank to confirm my phone number. I could have done that on-line but being one of those awkward people who doesn't bank on-line I thought it would be easier to do it in person. 'Bulbs out' was the box of mixed light bulbs I donated to Craft, the local recycling store. At Dingles we had a variety of light fittings and it was handy to have a mix of spares but as we re-wired this place everything is the same and we use LED bulbs which are more economical.
Once I got home I went straight out and planted all the alliums in the back garden and then I took down the bedroom curtains again. Although all my curtain rings were for the same size pole there was still some variation in the size of the rings. Yesterday I had deliberately mixed them up thinking that would even them out but in the end they looked too higgldy piggldy to my eye. So today I sorted them carefully and used all slightly thinner ones on one set of curtains and the fatter ones on the other which looks a lot better. Incidentally while I was in Charlie's, which isn't the cheapest of shops, a pack of four white curtain rings was £2.79. That's nearly 70p per ring!

 

1 comment:

happyone said...

No bulb planting here - the ground is frozen solid.