Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Saturday 26 February 2022

Sunny.

Bright and breezy today if a little chilly. 
I regretted not putting some washing in the machine first thing as the very slight breeze increased to a good drying wind later in the day. Plenty of people around and the chap who hires out wetsuits was back in his spot in front of the lifeboat station. From the number of people in the water he should have had some customers. The sea itself was much calmer than in the week with heavy rollers coming in close together.
After breakfast we did more tidying up in the garage, moving the mirrors to a safe spot against the section of wall I painted and shifting a large wooden cupboard to the end of the garage where the mirrors had been. I wrote down the measurements of all the mirrors as we may be able to re-use some of them. Unfortunately two of the three 60" arched mirrors got one corner broken off the last time they were moved.
I finished the afternoon working on the piece of driftwood the air plants will sit on. First I found myself a sunny spot in the front garden where I could sand the driftwood whilst enjoying being outside. Not so much to smooth the wood down but to remove some of the dark marks on the wood which looked a lot better when I'd finished. Then I drilled holes in the wood and hung it from the window bar. So far so good but the tricky job will be working out a way to attach the air plants to the wood. I've been looking on-line and it turns out that I need to be able to take the plants off the wood at least once a week so that I can dunk them in rainwater. Misting alone isn't quite enough according to the experts. I can use fishing line tied around the base of each plant but I need to find some small hooks or screws that I can loop the line around. It won't be easy to screw into the driftwood as it is so hard I suspect it's rootwood. So hard that when I drilled the holes for the hanging cords the wood began to smoke and I had to work on alternate holes to give the wood time to cool down.
 

No comments: