Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Thursday 17 February 2022

Windy.

We were protected from the worst of Storm Dudley last night with no more than strong winds and wild seas. Some of our Welsh class members were in direct line of the storm but everybody was safe. The sea has been wild all day long and it's been mostly grey though with occasional breaks in the cloud.
Now it's a matter of battening down the hatches before Storm Eunice arrives. Below is a more technical explanation posted yesterday in our local FB group. 
The Met Office has issued a red warning for South Wales and the North Coast of Devon and Cornwall but as can be seen from the diagram below the whole of the central and southern UK is under an amber warning with the storm being described as 'one of the most impactful storms' in years. Schools in Wales will be closed and all trains have been cancelled. I've been out and double checked that everything is put away or weighed down. There's a flood warning for the river that runs behind the village too but if you want sand bags you have to go and buy them. All this is due to happen from 7.00 tomorrow morning. I've baked a date and almond cake and used a bag of ready-mix seeded brown bread to make rolls. Something nice to eat if the power goes out tomorrow.

Our Zoom class went well as usual and it just happened that we were up to describing the weather as well as revising using the past tense. We also learnt how to say she -hi [he], he - o [oa] and they -nwh [noo]. No it as in common with most other languages everything is masculine or feminine.
They are talking about Wordle on the radio. It seems to be the latest fad. I've done it but it seems rather easy and it is only one word. I much prefer to play Scrabble on the Kindle. I only play the free version so it's easy to beat the computer but my challenge is to keep raising my scores.

Yesterday I was excited to get this book in the post. It may look scruffy but when I searched eBay it was a choice of a copy with a neater dust jacket but a cracked spine or this copy with a tattered dust jacket but better overall condition. And why did I buy it a 1949 edition of a 1941 book? Back in the dark ages when I was about 8 or 9 I chose The Ponies of Bunts in a secondhand book shop. That was the first book written by these two ladies, a simple children's pony story set on Dartmoor illustrated with photographs and written with great vintage charm. As a child I only had a few books and toys but they were sufficient and much loved which is probably why I still have some of them. I found out that there was a sequel but never found it in secondhand bookshops or on-line. That's because it's rare and though I did find it in my latest search it is very expensive. But then I found out that there was a third book and I bought this copy for £12 including postage which isn't too bad. I'm looking forward to reading it and slipping into that golden time between the wars.

 


1 comment:

happyone said...

So glad to hear you found these books!! :)