Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Wednesday 20 November 2013

Stormy.

It was a wild, wet and windy morning so I washed my hair and did some ironing instead. I had a nice Skype chat with Vytas though once again I could see him but he couldn't see me. It is most likely due to our slow connection speed as I've checked the web cam setting several times and it's working fine. 
Naturally, I started to worry in the middle of one of the worst rainy squalls and went out to check on the dam. The wood and soil were doing their job across the road but the concrete block that I keep on the verge for emergencies had been moved, probably by the the kids who were playing up there on the weekend, and was blocking the run-off into the field. It didn't take long to move it out of the way and allow the water to pour back down the field.
All this week the Road Closed signs have remained in place at Bowden and Ashelford Corners cutting off our little bit of road but they finished the road repairs last week and there has been no sign of any workmen or equipment since. I almost feel like writing "What for?" on the signs but I won't.
It cleared up a bit in the afternoon and at school the children had a chance to run around outside to let off steam. I stayed on for the staff meeting though as it was about setting maths targets technically I didn't have to be there. But it's better to stay in the loop and be seen as part of the team than stick to just the hours I'm paid for. Afterwards I called in at the Co-Op and picked up a few bargains including these Golden Russet apples. In my mind these dry apples have the best taste of any variety and I look forward to their appearance each year.

No comments: