Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Friday 8 August 2014

Dry.

It was lovely to wake and see the sun in a blue sky calling me to spend the day outside. It soon became overcast with a bit of a breeze but that didn't stop me from doing another couple of loads of washing. Now that I've started on Peter's clothes I thought I should do a proper job (local Devon term) and I took all the boxes and lids outside and gave them a wash. I have the same boxes for my clothes but every now and again I go through them trying on clothes to see what fits and often I find a few nice surprises.
I'm so relieved that I can get on with some gardening jobs,  albeit with long rest breaks.  Today I did some cutting back and then got out my bow saw and chopped down some more of the yew tree that grows in the hen run. I shan't bother taking out the stump but will leave it to grow into a small tidy bush.
The cooler conditions slowed the butterflies right down and I was able to photograph a Small Copper (top) , a Gatekeeper (middle) and a Ringlet (bottom). Normally they are very fluttery and when they do stop they tend to close their wings making it hard to get a decent photo.

I'm wondering how long the surfinias in the hanging baskets will last but the lobelia that I grew from seed has begun to flower making a nice contrast with the bright colours of the surfinias. I got the vax out again to hoover up the leaves from the raised bed but I used a brush and pan to sweep up the leaves on the patio. Reports are that Hurricane Bertha is headed our way and we may get a lot of rain this weekend, or worse! 

No comments: