Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Monday 18 August 2014

Wet, Windy and Then Sunny.

The morning was cold and often wet, truly autumnal. The afternoon was much better with no rain and longer sunny spells but still very windy. When I took the rubbish and recycling to the top of the drive the air was filled with the scent of the Himalayan Balsam. A cross between floral and plastic. 
After watching just one episode of Britain's Bake-Off my mind turned to baking some biscuits myself. A good idea but it would have been better if I had checked first to see that I had all the ingredients I needed. In my cupboards was a little strong white flour, which I used mixed with some white self-raising flour. Apart from that I had plenty of wholemeal bread flour. My first batch of chocolate chip biscuits looked more like mini buns because I forgot to flatten out the dough once it was on the cooking sheet. The second batch was flatter but  could have been sweeter as I had used dark chocolate. Then I thought I'd try something different. Only having wholemeal flour I added ginger and mixed spices and used honey instead of sugar to make some spicy honey biscuits. They came out better. This was just a practice run before I bake in earnest next week as our friends and Vytas and Sally are coming to stay. I like to try and get things done is advance as it is enough hassle trying to cook a full meal on the Rayburn without trying to bake a pudding as well.
I did a bit more work on my journal catch-up going back through the blog and then writing up the notes sitting outside in the sun. I've also been playing the piano. Today I found  sheet music for Fur Elise which I learnt to play 48 years ago. A very satisfying piece to play though I can't quite play it all without the music. That's probably what started off my fondness for using the sustain pedal when I play. A bad habit but I'm only playing for myself.

1 comment:

happyone said...

Oh that first picture is picture perfect. : )