Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Thursday 21 August 2014

Wet.

It's been raining for most of the day. There were a few sunny spells around midday when I went out and did some gardening.  Just a bit of weeding in the scree garden and deadheading the buddlias. Then the weather closed in again and we've had some very heavy rain showers.
For the rest of the time I have been mostly ...... baking. After my relative success baking biscuits on Monday I offered to make some more for Peter to take to work tomorrow. His team mates have been looking after him and making sure that he doesn't get the jobs that hurt his hands or need too much walking about so I thought biscuits would be a nice thank you. But I was a little over confident. The first batch of extra chocolatey biscuits spread all over the baking sheet. So I halved the remaining biscuits and rolled them into balls so that they came out biscuit sized if a little thin. Then I thought I had better go back to making some plain butter biscuits with lemon zest and a little juice. Blow me down but they also dissolved in the oven. Had I misweighed the flour or was putting them at the top of the oven not a good idea? I added more flour to the remaining dough and put the biscuits in the middle of the oven. All was going well so I went to play the piano. Result - slightly overdone biscuits. I took more care with the final few biscuits which came out fine. I've made up a container of lemon biscuits, thin chocolate biscuits and spiced honey biscuits for Peter to take to work tomorrow. I hope they like them.
There is one tiny pumpkin attempting to grow, will I be lucky? Possibly because it is off the ground unlike the last one which got eaten. Anyway I should have started off the pumpkins a lot earlier. Still it is satisfying to have something big and green sprawling across the veg plot.
Look what the slugs have done to one of the other pumpkins! 

1 comment:

happyone said...

Hope you get that one pumpkin. : )
We planted a bit late too but have quite a few pumpkins.