Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Sunday 14 December 2014

Wet.

I woke this morning to light drizzle but being so close to completing the wall I wasn't going to let a little rain defeat me. So I dug out some waterproof trousers, added my old gardening coat and went out anyway. The rain did die down later but the clay soil was horribly sticky. I've now started adding several layers of flat stones to complete the wall and the other side needs tidying up too.
The cats decided that the only place to be today was right beside the rayburn. Here Squeaky is doing her usual I'll sit on top of you manoeuvre. 
Last night we went to the cinema to see The Battle of the 5 Armies.  I thought it was better than the previous film but not in the same class as the LOTR films. Apart from the plot changes I thought the dwarves were rather Disney-ish even cartoon-like. One thing really did spoil our enjoyment and that was the sheer volume of crackling, rustling and scrunching noises as people opened their packets of sweets, popcorn and crisps. It was almost continuous for the first half of the film, as if someone was marching through dry leaves. Considering that all these packets had been bought in the cinema, (you are not allowed to bring your own refreshments) it was a real shame. This independent cinema has a lovely main screen with the best sound system ever but it does not make us keen to venture out to view other films. I am going to complain to the owners as surely if they have to sell stuff in noisy packets they could add on an extra few pence to the price and provide people with the paper cups they sell pop-corn in. Then people could decant their snacks before entering the auditorium and the noise would be reduced by about 90%. Incidentally the lady sitting next to Peter spent a lot of time on Facebook on her phone!
Yesterday, much to Peter's horror we dropped into Primark so I could buy this fluffy nightshirt that I had seen on sale.  I had thought it would go well some fluffy pj trousers I have but it was a little over the top especially with a face on the top of the hood. So today I reduced the length, took off the muzzle, reshaped the hood and sewed the ears back on for fun and now I have a fluffy hooded pj top.
We turned on the central heating today. Not because it was so cold, indeed with the cloud cover it was a little warmer, but just to check it was working. We haven't used it since last January and it would not be nice to turn it on when our visitors come and find it doesn't work. It did warm the house up nicely and as oil prices are supposed to have almost halved it won't be so expensive if we do have really bad weather and need to turn it on. It's off now until Christmas but I have just been visited by a small tortoiseshell butterfly trying to singe its feet on my desk lamp. I took it back upstairs to its windowsill only to find my original butterfly is still there. I left the butterfly there and came downstairs turning off all the lights hoping that it will stay up there.

1 comment:

happyone said...

Got a chuckle out of your cats all huddled together.
You look so toasty warm. : )
We haven't turned on our heat and probably won't. The two pellet stoves really does a great job of keep our house nice and warm.