Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Tuesday 23 December 2014

Wet.

Last night while in our bathroom I heard a tapping, scratching sound. Intrigued I first looked out of the window but there wasn't a little bird looking for insects or seeds on the wall. Could it be the rain dripping from the gutter? Not that either. Finally I honed in on the source of the noise, it was coming from under the shower tray. It was a sound familiar to me from our house in London when mice used to make noises behind the skirting boards. The noise stopped for a few seconds when I banged on the shower tray but then resumed. A very determined mouse of some sort. I only hope it wasn't trying to chew through the plastic drain pipe.
This morning I woke with a headache eurgh! I suffered from frequent headaches that would last for several weeks all through my adult years until about 5 or 6 years ago when the anti-inflammatory tablets I was given for my arthritis and back problems, cleared the headaches right up. Now I only get the occasional one when I have stuffy sinuses. At least this morning my attention was diverted, first by a couple of squirrels playing in the garden, then by a magnificent cock pheasant solemnly walking about and then by a fluffed up woodpecker preening itself in a tree.
I've been busy in the kitchen once more. The Christmas cake has been iced, I made a frosting this time instead of taking the easy option and buying some ready to roll icing. I also made 2 kinds of hummus and a last batch of biscuits. Sort of Christmassy ones this time with ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon and honey.
I also got the second dinning table out, not strictly necessary with only 4 of us  but most of our visitors tend to congregate in the kitchen with lap-tops etc and I do like a big table. The card above is a good illustration of my rural dreams when I was living in the city and I like to think that our country life has been a bit like that.
Must stop now as I'm off for a meal out with the girls.

2 comments:

Harriet said...

Ruta....Merry Christmas and a Happy, Healthy New Year. Thanks for your lovely photos and your interesting blog.

happyone said...

That cakes sure does look good. The icing looks like meringue.