Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Sunday, 10 May 2015

Ta Da !!

Drum roll please ...... I give you our refurbished downstairs toilet. It's taken a month but finally I've finished. All that's left to do is a coat of white gloss on the door which I'll do when I'm having a painting day. And I wouldn't mind a maidenhair fern to go on the window sill. 
This morning I shifted the washing machine (wearing steel toe-cap wellies in case of accidents), stuck down a couple more lino tiles then screwed 2 blocks of wood together to make sure that the washing machine doesn't 'walk' which it does a little, back and damage the oil pipe behind it. 
For this project the materials I already had were; the blue tiles, the window borders, lino tiles and adhesive, ceramic tile adhesive, grout, white gloss and emulsion paint. The materials I had to buy were; stain stop paint, wood hardener, a new joint for the pipe and the conti boards. I feel I have made good use of our resources.
The 'before' photo I took a month ago. The room also had a bare concrete floor, crumbling woodwork and a leaking pipe. 
I am most proud of the storage unit. I made all the other boxing over the pipes in sections that just slide together so that it is easy to access the pipes but I had thought I would need to make the storage unit more permanent. But working very slowly and thinking carefully about the shape of each piece I was able to make it so that the pieces slot and slide together.
Step 1 - Place sides and lower beams together. I did have to screw the facing on to the front beam but the rest is all separate. 
Step 2 - Slide in the base piece which has a batten screwed to the back. 
Step 3- Slide the back piece so that the notch goes over the side piece and pull forward into the recess. This stabilises that end of the unit. 
Step 4 - Place the top which has a couple of battens screwed at the end and back, onto the top of the unit and it is done. 
The view from the corridor, if I didn't have an extra large washing machine the door would open properly but there you go. Next project here I come.

2 comments:

Harriet said...

Ruta, you did a wonderful job. I was glad to read your took some time to read, all in all.....super DIY job.

Happyone said...

Great job!! It looks so nice and I love the window little topper and trim.
All your hard work paid off.