Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Tuesday 20 November 2018

Cold.

A very grey cold day today. The photo above was taken at 3.00. It felt chilly in the house this morning due to the central heating boiler cutting out yet again. No concerns as the gas man was coming to service the boiler. He arrived on time and got to work on the boiler. As he and Peter chatted it turned out that as well as working on boilers he also teaches gas plumbing at the college. He then proceeded to lecture us on the correct way to run our heating system. He was adamant that all the radiators should be turned on to stay ticking over all day, no turning off radiators in unused rooms or where a cooler room is more comfortable ie for me and under no circumstances should a window ever be opened. By this point Peter could see that I was getting more and more annoyed. I discretely mentioned the fact that bedrooms needed ventilation to allow naturally occurring gases to escape. Absolutely not was the answer, such gases rise to the ceiling where they cannot be detected. This was when I decided not to continue the conversation or mention the build up of CO2 or water vapour exhaled as part of respiration. This was not the end of the lecture though, apparently most people turn on their water taps incorrectly. Water taps should be turned on at full flow and never turned down while in use. This man obviously doesn't spend any time at a kitchen sink. He still has to come back with a small part for the boiler, I shall make sure to be busy elsewhere.  
I wrapped up to go out and do a little more work on the car. I spent the whole time scraping off the excess paint and wondering why I bothered to start the job at all. Eventually my fingers got too cold so I came back in and worked on my project before doing my exercises and then going out to Pilates. 
PS. Just seen that the current freezing rain is coming down as snow at Blackmoor Gate.

1 comment:

happyone said...

What crazy ideas that man has about heating and open windows. He'd tell me I was doing things wrong too!! : )