Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Friday 19 April 2019

Hot.

The promised heat has arrived, here it was 23C/73F according to the Met. Office. Their forecast is for another hot day tomorrow, then cooling down a little at the start of the week followed by cloud and then thunderstorms. If you were to believe one of the more disreputable papers we are in for a 4 month heatwave. Not very likely.
It was too nice a day not to head out for a walk at the coast. With the good weather and the school holidays plus Easter Bank Holiday weekend the crowds have arrived. It took us a while to drive along the country road leading to Mortehoe behind three enormous caravans heading for one of the campsites there.
Although the path following the cliff edge was quite busy there was still plenty of open space to appreciate the tranquillity of this beautiful area. I saw quite a few dogs being walked off lead but I didn't say anything as the farmer has sensibly taken the sheep off the Point.
The tide was out revealing the rocky shelf and glistening brown seaweed. A single seal bobbed about in the usual place then followed a large group of kayakers enjoying the gentle sea. 
This is my favourite rock formation which to me looks like ancient ruins in miniature. 
We stopped for coffee at our usual bench. So many times we've sat there and looking across to Wales made plans for our move there. Now we may be there in a matter of weeks, depending on when the builders will be able to start work. Peter has already begun saying goodbye to his wide circle of friends. 
At the last appointment the vet said he expects it to take months for Speedy's feet to heal. Part of the problem with the fleas is that they make the whole of the cat's body itchy. The delivery of the room flea spray arrived today so I've been on a flea extermination campaign. All the sitting room throws were washed again and I decided to throw out two large feather cushions. Feathers set off Sally's hayfever and I expect the cushions are a hiding place for fleas. In the bin went the cushions which are over 40 years old so we've had good use out of them. When I took the leather cushions off the sofa and chair I was horrified by the amount of fluff, crumbs and cat hairs trapped under them. Cue very long hoovering session as many of the cat hairs were trapped in the fabric of the undersides of the cushions and needed picking off with tweezers. I then sprayed inside the zip-up leather cushion covers as well as every inch of the sofa and armchair. I'm currently working my way around the house zapping the floors with lots of spray. I'm determined to get rid of the fleas, even hoovered Speedy with the nozzle attachment which he didn't mind.
The vet at the earlier appointment said it wouldn't be possible to bandage Speedy's feet but I had a second try this afternoon. Only one foot to start to see how it goes. I found an elasticated tubular bandage for an adult's wrist in my first aid kit. This I cut in half lengthways, then sewed up the long side to make a cat sized foot tube. This I pulled above his ankle joint and secured it top and bottom with some strapping. He tried to shake it off at first but so far it's stayed on.

1 comment:

happyone said...

The rock formation is amazing. I can see why it is your favorite.
Poor Speedy!