Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Saturday 27 April 2019

Stormy.

The strong winds arrived some time in the night. I woke at 4.00 to hear something clattering outside. I had to open my study window to lean out and check the bin store but its doors were firmly closed. It was dark but I assume that somebody's bins were making the noise. The tall acers in the back garden had been blown over so I've tied them with rope. The wind carried on through the day which was bright and sunny. 
I drove over to the dump to get rid of a bag of grass cuttings then called in at Lidl's and Tesco's. I also went to BJ's to present my vouchers for a free gro-bag and pack of bedding plants. I chose begonias as being the most likely to survive a bit of neglect if we have to go away. It was too windy to plant out the home grown sunflowers, cosmos and nasturtiums. I'm going to keep the blue grass and sedums from the big planter so I removed them and potted them up.
Even though the wind has been very strong it was blowing from the wrong direction and from the surf-cam we could see the waves being flattened rather than dramatically crashing against the cliffs. Never mind, I'm sure we'll see plenty of wild waves when we move. 

3 comments:

happyone said...

The flowers are beautiful.
We've had some very strong winds today too. Supposed to die down tonight.

lea said...

Our daughter, her husband and 2 youngest children are over there and were at Stonehenge today. She said "Oregon coast worthy GALE force winds" but they're hardy and thought the place beautiful (although the cost made her wince). They were in Porlock last and she loved it there. My son in law is actually working, he is a stream/salmon habitat restoration Hydrologist here and is presenting studies at a number of places.

Ruta M. said...

When I was little, before motorways, the road to Cornwall went past Stonehenge. We often stopped there and I remember climbing freely over the stones which were just standing there. It's terribly expensive and I've only paid to visit once with the boys on our way back from scout camp.