Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Thursday 23 January 2020

Grey.

Grey and hazy today but dry. I went down to the garage to get some paint and was surprised by how damp the garage was. When I looked up could see that all the rafters were soaking wet. We had the roof sealed last summer which took care of several leaks but now it looks as if water is getting where the corrugated boards are screwed to the rafters. I'm wondering if the sealant reacted with either the screws or the holes. Or else if simply having somebody walk on the roof loosened up the screws. Another problem to think about.
The paint was to touch up a couple of places on the dinning room wall where I bleached off the mildew. I was able to get a second coat on just now and it's looking good. But I will still have to empty (and pack the contents) of the big cupboard to move it out from the wall and deal with the mildew I'm sure is there.
This morning I was in the kitchen when suddenly the power went off which was strange. First I stuck my head out of the window to see if anyone else was out looking to see what had happened. I spoke to a chap coming out of his daughter's house and yes their electric was off too. Another neighbour came out and I saw she was on the phone reporting the fault. It makes you realise how much you rely on electricity when it goes off. No internet, tv or radio, except for my MP3 player. No heating, kettle or hot water. Fortunately we have a gas cooker so it didn't take long to boil a saucepan of water to do the washing up and before half an hour was up the power was back on. My next door neighbour said she heard a bang just before the power went out which might have been the large metal container on the corner of the close that the power goes through. Exciting happenings in my mundane life!
I gave the bathroom a Spring clean today and sorted out the plants on the windowsill. The pitchers on the pitcher plant are beginning to dry up so I cut those off and last year's stalk too. The asparagus fern isn't doing as well. It was thriving on the downstairs toilet windowsill at Dingles which didn't get a lot of sun but here in the bathroom I don't think that the heat and any draughts from the window above are doing it any good. I put it in the bath (to catch all the dry bits from the stems) and cut off everything that was looking yellow. It's now in a clear container so hopefully I'll see better when it needs watering. For such a delicate looking plant it had surprisingly sharp bits on the stems.

3 comments:

lea said...

We have all kinds of excitement in our mundane lives don't we? Today my excitement was having our old refrigerator die. Luckily we have another one in the basement so everything got trundled down the stairs, what a nuisance, and finding another one a nuisance too.
I have one of those asparagus ferns too and they do have nasty little hooks.

happyone said...

Yes, takes us to lose something before we realize how much we depend on it.
We also have no water when we don't have power because we have well water and it uses electricity to turn on the pump.

Ruta M. said...

At Dingles I was very much a belt, braces and a safety pin type of person and had options in case the power and/or oil went out. The pressure on our bore hole was enough to take the water up to the pool house with gravity sending it down to the house if the power cut out and we had the stream to collect water to put in the toilet cistern.