Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Monday 13 January 2020

Wind and Rain.

After a brief moment of blue this morning strong winds heralded the arrival of Storm Brendan and a yellow weather warning. I believe the winds peaked earlier this evening with power cuts and trees down across the west of the country. Tomorrow morning should be quiet but it's due to get windier again in the afternoon.
This morning we had a visit from a chap to do an energy efficiency survey. You need one when selling a property and as the estate agent hadn't organised one when we first put the house on the market Peter organised it himself. It'll be cheaper than one through the agents. As we suspected the so called possible viewing never materialised. So that was most likely the estate agents trying to install false hope. I wish they wouldn't.
In the afternoon I was back sewing again and got the first of the seat cushions done. To get a good fit I pinned the fabric, inside out, over the cushion sewing the seams while the cover was on the cushion. It was only as I was nearing completion that I suddenly realised that because the cushion is not symmetrical the cover would have to go on the other cushion which is a mirror image of the first cushion. I'll just have to be careful to make sure I pin the fabric for the second cushion on the right ie the one that already has a cover, cushion. 
Before the rain became too heavy I was able to watch the birds at the feeders. The male blackbird was picking up fallen seeds from the ground and a pair of hedge sparrows were feeding on the fat balls. The other day I noticed that a robin was having difficulty getting to the fat ball feeder. It kept hopping up and trying to hover underneath the feeder. It had a go at clinging on to the feeder itself but didn't last long like that. The sparrows generally sit on an adjacent branch and lean across so I'm not sure why the robin didn't do that. I've now wired a thick twig through the feeder to act as a perch in case that helps.

No comments: