Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Tuesday 6 October 2020

A Few Problems.

Windy grey morning, sunshine and showers this afternoon. I had to get a couple of things from the shop and went for a windy walk along the beach first. Sea foam being blown everywhere and plenty of flotsam thrown up on the beach. I got excited when I saw an empty food caddy lying there but unfortunately the lid had gone. Normally the council would issue us with a new food caddy but they're not doing that at the moment because of covid. Some rooks were investigating the clumps of seaweed and finding something, shellfish? to eat. I found myself a lump of the petrified forest which I may use as the base for my Christmas tree. A new tree with a 4,500 year old base.


Last night we discovered that the Sky cable had been left on the wrong side of the new sitting room doors but luckily the Sky man had left enough spare cable so we could bring it through the open door to watch tv in the evening. Today the windows chaps drilled a hole through the house wall for the cable to reach the tv properly.
Two windows men came this morning and spent all day putting in our new front door and finishing off all the bits of trim around the other new windows. Once they'd taken out the old front door they found that there was no damp proof membrane under it and since the porch had been taken down damp had spread up the walls on either side. It's all been done properly now. The front hall is currently doubling as my study and I'm quite enjoying being able to sit at my pc at the centre of the house but eventually the wall on the left will be all book shelves. The hall is a lot darker now especially since I stuck banqueting roll over the clear glass. Once the porch is built we can decide if we want to put some sort of film over the glass or leave it clear. I'm more comfortable if I can see who is on the other side of the door before I open it.
While they worked I cleaned the shower in our bedroom. The one in the bathroom over the bath isn't that hot but the one in the bedroom works in a different way. Plenty of bleach to finish off with including using cotton buds to clean the lower grout lines which had some mildew.
We're very happy with the colour of the front door from the outside. We would have liked the frame to be grey too but that wasn't an option. The new porch will be white and the house will be painted white too. You may have spotted that the new front door does not have a letter box. That will be in the porch door. Back along I had taken this into consideration and bought a metal letter box to attach to the wall. I then spent most of today attempting to find the letter box. From my handy notebook I could see it was in Box 43 but could I find Box 43? I searched high and low even shifting boxes but nothing. Then I realised that I had already taken out some of the items from that box so maybe it was one of the boxes already disposed of. (Things were too hectic for me to note which boxes had been emptied at the time.) My search widened to see if I'd put the letter box into a re-packed box and even looked through all the kitchen cupboards. I was hoovering the sitting room when I saw one last box out in the bay window and yay! it contained the elusive letter box. Now to drill some holes to fix it on to the outside wall.
We also had another major disaster. I looked into the utility room and saw a large puddle on the floor. One of the pipes that will feed the washing machine was leaking. We're not into laying blame and it is 50/50 anyway. The pipes should be able to withstand a small knock so that could be said to be the plumber's fault and as they are right under the window it must have been one of the window men that knocked it. Luckily I saw it before it had spread from the concrete floored room to the hall and new flooring and the two windows lads helped me mop up. One of them even had a new 'olive' (the thingy on the pipe) but Peter was able to contact the plumber and turn off the right handle in the bathroom cupboard as well as tighten up the olive. The plumber will be coming tonight to fix the problem. 

 

No comments: