Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Thursday 15 October 2020

Sunny.

Sunny all day with a distinct nip in the air.
I was back in town again today. First I spent nearly an hour at the kitchen showroom going through my list of questions with the nice young salesman/lad. He's going to send an updated quote plus one for the same kitchen but with a more expensive finish on the doors. From there I carried on to explore the out of town trading estate. I found a big 'Charlies' a hardware/garden/clothing/kitchen and ornaments store a bit like Slee's in Braunton or more like Mole Valley farmers. Lots of Christmas decorations which I guess are a cheap way to sheer up home and spirits though maybe not if families can't get together at Christmas. There I bought some work wellies as my steel toe-cap ones left me with a blood blister over the whole of a toe after working out in the garden. After trying on several pairs I had to put the ones I wasn't buying in a 'quarantine bin' so that they could be put aside for 72 hours. In that section of the shopping estate were; Halfords (car and bike stuff), Curry's (electrical good) and B&M (cheap home goods). I then drove across the road to a big Morrison's (food) and after shopping bought petrol from the Morrison's Garage. I was surprised to see that there were only two choices at the pumps, petrol or diesel. It's the first time I haven't seen a choice of ordinary or premium petrol.
I had yet another bill to pay at the bank where I'm now on first name terms with some of the staff. With very little actual shopping to do at Lidl I went for a stroll around the shopping streets of Aber. Cars have been temporarily banned from these streets to give people more room to spread out. With another three students testing positive for covid resulting in more students being confined to their accommodation it was quiet out. The photo above is just off the main shopping street. Overall the town is quite shabby, everywhere needs painting and there are a number of empty premises. Lots of cheap eating places aimed at the students and fairly down market shops. That said it still feels lively with plenty of character in the architecture.
I walked down to catch a glimpse of the Prom where over 40 years ago as a student on a marine ecology field course with my London university based in the labs at Aber Uni we stayed in one of the hotels on the Prom. Under the flag in the middle of the photo is the cliff railway 

I stopped on the way home to take a couple of photos.
When I got home I found Peter hacking away at the hedge with the electric hedge trimmers. It's only the second time he's used the trimmers and I've never seen such a lumpy, wobbly hedge. I'm afraid that led to a bit of a falling out between us.
 

No comments: