Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Sunday 4 October 2020

Storm Alex.

Storm Alex blew all through the night and into the morning. When Peter was making the tea this morning sea foam was being thrown up against the windows. I'd been up in the night (watching tv) and definitely heard the sound of something, possibly a roof tile, smashing. I couldn't see anything at the time and we both had a good look today but our roof looks to be intact.
More worrying was the state of the sitting room bay window. Last week we'd noticed a big gap down the side as one of the panes slipped away from the frame. I did my best to secure it with Gaffer tape (duct tape) and as the wood at the bottom is falling away I put some engineering bricks on the sill to keep the wood in place. The windows people were due to come on Wednesday but this morning we had a phone call saying they are starting tomorrow morning which is even better. If the glass had fallen out there is secondary glazing inside which would have needed to be pulled across to cover the gap.
The rain eased off over the morning and I had a walk down to the shop to buy some milk and bin bags. I couldn't resist walking part of the way along the beach to enjoy the smell of the sea and the fresh air.
There were some good surfing waves being enjoyed by the surfers in the afternoon. I got on with cleaning out the other section of the wardrobe in our bedroom. Unfortunately there is some evidence of damp on the outside wall. I finished off with a thorough bleaching and the builder will need to sort out whatever the problem is. While I worked in the bedroom Peter set up my new 27" monitor which arrived today.
I still managed to spend some time out in the garden filling yet another bag with chopped up brambles. Some of them were as thick as my thumb but slowly the garden is beginning to emerge. It almost feels like an archaeological dig as the obscuring growth is removed. 

I'm not getting on with this new Blogger and have yet to find out how to change the photo in the header.

3 comments:

happyone said...

glad to hear all is well after the storm.
Hope all goes good with the windows tomorrow.

happyone said...

I just changed the picture in my header.
Click on Design at the top right of your blog.
Click on Layout
When you see Header click on header and you will be able to change the picture.
Hope that helps.

Ruta M. said...

Thanks for the advice. I'd got as far as 'remove picture' but didn't realise that would then allow me to put in a new picture.