Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Saturday 17 October 2020

Sunny.

Another sunny day with almost unbroken blue skies. Note the layer of cloud which sat all day like a duvet over everywhere inland. How I used to dislike seeing the clouds sitting over Dingles when we drove home after a sunny visit to the beach.
After a good night's sleep I was energised enough to put in an hour of gardening before breakfast. We really want to get the hedge height reduced asap to improve the sea view from the house so I forged ahead reducing the width of the hedge on the garden side by using the loppers to remove the thicker stems growing out into the garden.
After breakfast we got on with clearing the passageway at the side of the house. Instead of waiting for yesterday's chap to shift some heavy bags of rubble Peter split them down and hauled half bags to the skip. When the man came with two of his children he loaded up the rest of the shelving apart from one large metal table which wouldn't fit in his van. Maybe we can bend the legs tomorrow and pop it on the skip which is now filled and ready to go on Monday morning.
Then came a reading break followed by another hour snipping in the garden. After that I took myself off to the beach to walk on the sand exposed by the extreme low tide. It's good to see that when I do venture in for a swim I can be assured that it will be sand underfoot and not rocks or worse, slippery seaweed. We still see a couple of people swimming in the afternoons and I spotted a single early swimmer this morning.
Earlier I'd been taking to my neighbour E. She'd been telling me about the damage she'd done to her back falling 20ft off ..... a cliff but before I could find out how this happened she mentioned that Chick (the previous owner) had also fallen 20ft off a cliff, this very cliff in front of the house. It turns out that the house owners are responsible for mowing what I'd laughingly called our front, front lawn. Fortunately for us one of the other residents has a ride on mower and includes our section as well as the bit in front of our neighbour with dementia's house when he's out mowing. (I had wondered why the council, whom I thought were responsible, hadn't issued him with ear defenders as the mower is very, very noisy.) Anyway back to Chick, he was mowing the cliff top and fell over the cliff. The mower was a write-off but Chick only suffered cuts and bruises though he did need stitches to his chin. As no-one had seen the event he walked all the way back along the beach to the way down at the bottom of the road and then home. Maybe that's why the neighbour cuts the grass. Otherwise I don't know what I'd do. You can hardly run an electric cable across the road. Perhaps I'd buy a vintage push mower and hope a neighbour would take pity on me or else declare it a wild flower meadow and dispense with the mowing. 
There were plenty of people out on the beach enjoying a sunny Saturday walk. There was a group of 13 lively young ladies having a hen do (party). In Wales you are allowed to meet up with 30 people outside though you are still expected to socially distance which these girls weren't. Still better to have an afternoon on the beach rather than flout the rules by gathering in somebody's home or going to the pub.
I wore my new wellies and very comfortable they were too with plenty of space for my toes. I'm not convinced my smarter blue wellies don't have a leak so I'd rather keep them for rainy day trips into town. Today I happily splashed through the wet patches secure in the knowledge that my feet would stay dry. I walked further than usual and got to the next bit of the petrified forest which has recognisable stumps poking up from the sand.

And that's been my busy day.

 

1 comment:

happyone said...

Oh my that sounds like quite a fall!!
The views are fantastic.