Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Thursday 29 October 2020

Windy.

Another wild and windy day. Lots of rain in the morning and dry in the afternoon
We needed some milk so naturally I combined my shopping trip with a walk on the beach. It was great fun striding along the sand with the wind pushing me from behind though I did bear in mind that it wouldn't be so easy walking back the other way. And it wasn't with the wind trying to push me sideways up the beach. We'd seen a few brave surfers out in the water and as I walked a couple of chaps were setting up their kite surfing kit but I never saw them out on the water. 
At home Speedy was heating himself up on top of a warm radiator.
Not really feeling the urge to do any outside work I concentrated on some outstanding admin. First was to brave the cobweb strewn outside electricity meter box to read the meter and yes there was a spider in residence. Not very big but big enough if I was scared of spiders which I'm not. That done I was able to submit the meter reading, the first in 7 months for this account. Next was to move on with sourcing the kitchen splashback I chose so long ago. I have a sample in front of me and it's exactly what I want but could I find the company on the internet? It looked as if they still made bathroom/shower panels but not for the kitchen. I looked for alternatives but trying to find the colour I want (a very pale blue/green like sea glass) was a challenge. All the searching gets tiring especially when you get as far as the sample page, make a selection and go to check out. I don't mind paying a nominal amount for samples but when they charge a fiver for postage that's the point when I give up. A poor business strategy. I've even gone for some samples where you could chose custom colours from a panel with every colour on the spectrum.
The other job I thought I could do was to update the details on Speedy's microchip. Going on the site it turns out that you have to pay to change your address so I shan't bother with that. It's free to change your phone details but I waited on the line for so long that in the end I gave up. They have my email anyway. However while I was getting out the folder with the details I came across the brochure for the original kitchen splashback I'd set my heart on. On the off chance I rang the phone number on the back and was told that yes, they still do kitchen splashbacks and I was given the website where I could find a supplier. Much joy as I checked out the website but then alarm bells began to ring as I noticed several different company names with the same phone number. Then looking on the review sites there were no end of recent complaints including money taken and goods not arriving. So we shan't be using them.
Just been listening to 'You and Yours' (R4) with people talking about what they'll do for Christmas.  I'm pretty sure that we won't be able to visit the boys over Christmas. Peter I know would rather let it pass completely but I'm wondering if maybe we might meet the neighbours, outside of course, to exchange greetings and possibly have a drink together for a little time. There are only 10 houses in our road and one set of our neighbours were community marshals during the first lockdown so perhaps I'll chat to them.
 

No comments: