Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Tuesday 13 October 2020

Mostly Dry.

I woke at what seems to be my new usual time of 6.00 to the sound of rain. Or rather I was woken by Speedy butting my face in order to wake me up so that I'd go and feed him. As a result of the roof leaking for at least the last few years the wooden doors have all expanded and none of the doors here will close. (On the other hand how good to have solid wood doors rather than the modern composite ones.) We never let the cats or dogs in our bedroom after we moved to Devon but didn't mind Speedy too much and felt it would be reassuring to him to be near us. However as much as he enjoys sleeping on our bed the problems start when he decides to play with our feet, purr in our ears or deliberately wake us up. I can see the bedroom door being trimmed sooner rather than later with Speedy going back to sleep in his fluffy nest bed in the sitting room.
It wasn't long before the rain cleared leaving a few fluffy clouds in the sky and hanging down over the valley with a definite nip in the morning air. 
First thing this morning the two mattresses from the trundle bed were collected by a local re-cycling group. I'd stressed they weren't too good for adults but should be fine for children and I'm so glad they're not just going in the dump. The sitting room looks bigger now that they're not taking up space behind the sofa.
I got the designs for the new kitchen sent through this morning. Some things are not quite as discussed and we've decided we don't need the top cupboards on the left but it's nice to see the next step towards the final product. We're not having an integrated  microwave or fridge as those would be very expensive and we're content to keep a basic microwave and fridge.

My main job for the day was to tackle the rubbish left where the old shed used to be and then move my plants there. It may not look that wonderful but compared to how it was it's amazing. I had to shovel up a nasty mix of wet soil, unidentifiable sludge, bits of wood & plastic and the stems of a climber that grew over the shed. One thing that kept me going was the thought of a hot shower once I'd finished. I need to tidy up inside the greenhouses and then I'll offer them out for free on FB.
After my shower and a break with a book I did some hand washing which I hung out on a temporary rope washing line tucked down in the front garden out of sight of passers-by. We had a few spots of rain but there's a good wind blowing so I'm hoping to get the washing dry enough to hang over the radiators.


 

1 comment:

Lowcarb team member said...

Beautiful sky in your last photograph.

All the best Jan