Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Monday 23 May 2022

Grey.

Still grey and just as I was washing up the breakfast things (Peter does the dinner washing up), it rained quite heavily. Fortunately by the time I'd done some Duo Lingo the rain stopped and I was able to spend the rest of the day outside. In fact by the afternoon it was warm enough to shed my coat while I worked in the garden.
My main outside job was to continue working on the gravel behind the street wall. Superficially it looks the same as it did yesterday but now the pebbles are sitting above the layer of fine gravel/cinder. The pebbles had worked their way down into the gravel but it was easy to use the metal colander to sieve through the mix and place the pebbles back on the surface. It also gave me the chance to remove the last weed seedlings and some fine clumps of roots. Once that was done I brought along some reclaimed bricks ready for the troughs when they are returned.
My second gardening session was less strenuous. I had a gentle time transferring pebbles from the front garden up to the back garden. I varied picking up leaves off the pebbles with sieving out pebbles that had worked down into the gravel (these are grubbly so I've left them for the rain to wash) and finally scooping up clean surface pebbles into buckets and taking them to the back garden.
The last thing I did this afternoon was to paint a sign for the 'no-mow' area at the zoo, a suggestion of mine that is going ahead. Now that I'm looking at it I'm not happy with the placement of the words. I carefully measured it out but failed to take into account the extra room needed for 'm' and 'w'. Either the first letters should line up or the words should be central. Oh dear, I think I'm going to have to do it again if I can find another piece of wood.

 

No comments: