Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Sunday 29 May 2022

Mixed Weather.

The day began fairly bright and warm with almost no wind and a flat sea. Later in the afternoon the temperature dropped and we had a spell of heavy rain. A friend who was out walking further along the coast watched a thunderstorm out at sea. Now at the end of the afternoon the rain has cleared and it's warming up again.
Before the rain arrived I had a session pottering about in the back garden. Lots of little jobs like sorting through the last pots and weeding out the tiny seedlings popping up in the beds. The weed of the moment is oxalis which has tiny nodules on the roots. I'm sure if you leave them behind will grow a new plant so I have to try and get rid of the tiny brown pips as well. 
I'm very pleased with the lettuces, grown mainly for Peter's sandwiches. Top left half is the first sowing which is ready to use, top right the second sowing which seems to be lacking, bottom left are the thinnings from the first sowing and bottom right is the third sowing. Yesterday I sowed a row of a different mix of cut-and-come-again lettuce in a different bed.
I had just about finished my tidying up, watched by some starling seedlings who had been visiting the bird feeder in the neighbours' garden, and was ready to go down to the front garden when it began to rain. Forced back indoors I baked Peter a big apple and sultana cake which should last for a while and did a couple of sessions on the exercise bike. Bake Off - The Profesionals is back so I got to watch that. I'm not sure if that's a good thing for someone on a diet! I'm in agreement with Stacey Solomon (one of the presenters) who said she was going to taste everything, put on 5 stone and tell everyone she was pregnant again. 
Sunset last night with the sun going down behind Bardsey Island.
 

1 comment:

lea said...

I really, really dislike oxalis. Somehow they got into my compost & now they're in most of my flower beds.