Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Sunday 8 May 2022

Warm.

It's been very warm today thanks to our local microclimate. Inland looked to be very cloudy, from the window over the sink the clouds were dark grey but here at the coast they thinned out and let the warm sun through.
After The Archers and croissants (we're nothing if not predictable) I was back at that spoil heap again. Three hours later and the end is in sight. Once the last lumps of clay are broken up and incorporated into the raised beds I can start on the soil stored in the dumpy bags. I don't have a clear photo of the original size of the spoil heap but it really did cover the muddy area that's left. I may only move half a bucket at a time but I'm sure I'm going to end up with biceps like a weight lifter.
All of a sudden there are flowers popping up all around the garden much to the delight of the bees. Not so happy were the solitary bees checking out the sides of the spoil heap for potential burrow sites only to have me scoop the sandy soil into my bucket.

The first flowers have appeared on one of the hardy geraniums I moved to the raised bed. It's a small creeping variety with flowers about the size of a 10p. 

I ended the afternoon in my usual spot on the terrace with a coffee and a snack of an apple and some cheddar cheese. The sea has been flat today so the weekend paddle boarders were out trying not to fall off their boards and there were plenty of people just swimming. A group of local fishermen returned from their 'secret spot' no doubt laden with fish. If anybody really wanted to know where they go I'm sure you could just watch them from the cliffs with a pair of good binoculars.

 

No comments: