Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Monday 14 October 2013

Sun and Rain.

We had a morning of sunshine and showers, usually at the same time. I was quite happy to stay indoors, do some housework and make alterations to the tunic top I bought in sale last week.
After driving the rubbish bags up to the road for the bin men to collect early tomorrow morning I gave myself a stern talking to, I mean - it's only going to get colder and wetter and the weeds will keep on growing so there was no reason not to carry on with the weeding.
It stayed dry for most of the afternoon and I was able to weed all the way around the small pond. It's a lost cause picking up the leaves at this time of year but I did it anyway as I cleared the path of all the seedlings that were growing in the gravel. It always makes me smile to think of alchemilla being sold at £4.50 a pot in the garden centre while I weed out seedling after seedling from every corner. Having failed to clear the grass from the pond when the water level was low today I risked falling on my face in the sludgy pond as I leaned out as far as I could to reach the grass growing among the pond plants. The recent rain has filled the pond right up and I know one of my wellies has a leak so I didn't want to try wading in the pond. I'm glad I got that job done.
Another of my orchids has come back into flower. 

2 comments:

Harriet said...

Ruta....Each of your posts brightens my day. I so enjoy the photos and your message. I love to read about your gardening because I, too, am a gardener. Although, older than you I have cut back a great deal in hopes of better management. Your orchid if lovely.....I dream of having one but am concerned I would quickly destroy it.

Ruta M. said...

Orchids are reasonably cheap in several of our supermarkets, £5-£15, not much more than a bunch of flowers so Peter buys them instead of flowers for special occasions. They survive quite well especially if I remember to water them but not too much. Even if they look dead a little TLC sometimes gets them growing again.