Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Sunday 20 October 2013

Windy.

Listening to the torrential rain last night I was feeling sure that my road dam would be holding up when I remembered that the postman had driven down to us in the afternoon. Our usual postman is very ill and the new guy tends to race down the road knocking the dam out of place. So I got up, donned my wet weather gear and went out to check. And it was a good thing I did so. The dam was more or less in place but the little ditch I have created in my neighbour's field was not coping with the flow of water and it was spilling out and down the drive. I deepened and widened the ditch, reinforced the dam and was able to go back to bed knowing our drive was protected.
It has been windy today but the rain held off so we went for a walk along the beach. I was impressed with this new bench that has been built above Barricane Beach. I would love to have it in my garden, along with the view of course. 
There were a lot of people around as we drove through Woolacombe but there is plenty of beach for everyone. 
There is nothing like a good sea breeze to blow away the cobwebs. 
The surf looked quite choppy but that didn't seem to deter the surfers.
Coombesgate is perfect for rockpooling. You can walk on the smooth sand and peer into waist high rock pools. This pool had over 50 snakeslocks sea anemones in it. 
We walked back up to the shelter of the cliffs to have a coffee. The sky wasn't quite this blue but it was still lovely. Children and dogs splashed in the larger sand pools and a young lad was flying his kite. What simple and free pleasures we have so close to hand.
Back home I was tempted to do some gardening but I haven't recovered from yesterday so it would not be sensible.

No comments: