Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Monday 7 October 2013

Warm.

The forecast was for a grey day with possible showers. It did start that way though I was determined to get some weeding done in between the rain. However after one shower in the morning things started to improve. The sun started came out and I really wished I  had  put some washing in the machine as it turned into a good drying day. The sun was shining and it was warm outside so I raced through the hoovering before escaping outside.
I wanted to move some of the buddlias that I had grown from cuttings, to between the azaleas on the bank by the drive. But I thought I should clear some of the weeds first. I had decided not to mow that bank this summer and the wild flowers looked good but there were some weeds that needed to go. When I say some I mean several kinds of weeds. I must have pulled up hundreds of plantain by the time I had finished. The soil was quite soft so they were relatively easy to get out but it took all afternoon. I left the daisies, buttercups and primroses (just seen a squirrel leaping about in a tree), because not only are they pretty but if I dug them up too the bank would be almost bare. I planted 2 of the rich purple buddlias and a white one so that they will catch the afternoon sun which the butterflies so love. And it was fortuitous that I spent the afternoon working in one of the few sunny spots in the garden. 
I rushed indoors to have a shower and hoped to catch the sun & warm breeze afterwards to dry my hair but it got a bit cloudy. I still enjoyed being able to sit outside with a cup of tea and relax for a while.
I know I'm lucky to have such a nice garden but I just can't help wishing that the sun I see shining on the hillside was down in our garden too. 
I made humus in the morning so I had some on ryvita for my supper along with a couple of kiwi fruit. The sky is taking on a pink tinge so maybe we will have another nice day tomorrow.

No comments: