Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Sunday 13 October 2013

Wet.

I've spent an enjoyable day at reduction printing workshop run by Kerry Tremlett. Above is one of her prints that she brought along to show us. One of my friends at work had booked to take part in the workshop but was unable to go and as the fee was non-refundable she asked me if I would like to go in her place. I'm always willing to have a go at new techniques and I really don't mind if what I do doesn't turn out half as good as everyone else's. Which is a good thing as the other ladies there turned out some very nice prints.
The workshop was held in a small arts and crafts shop in town. 
There were some lovely things in the shop but we quickly became engrossed in carving away at our pieces of lino. There was plenty of chatting too and it was a lovely way to spend a wet day. One of the other ladies was a meteorologist working for the national Weather Service and she said that yesterday's newspaper report was mere speculation. That newspaper uses a chap who counts sunspots to make long term forecasts. Not the most reliable of methods and even with all their equipment it is hard to predict the weather for the next week never mind months ahead. Might just stock up on chocolate though.
This was my print based on a drawing I had copied (freehand) from a drawing by Alan Lee. The precision and care needed for this type of work are not suited to my free flowing creative style but that didn't matter. The odd slip of the cutter and too much ink on the roller changed the design from one with smooth flowing lines to a freer interpretation. (Just looked though the window to see 3 hen pheasants walking about on the back lawn.)
It rained heavily all the way home and the calves were huddling together by the fence. I remade the dam across the road so we are protected in that direction. The stream is rising but hopefully the work Paul has been doing clearing out his silt trap will keep the water flowing on and out the other end of the lake and not backing up to our place.

1 comment: