Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Wednesday 30 March 2016

A Bonfire.

Today's forecast was for sunshine and showers possibly with thunder and hail but we only had the sunshine and with the wind coming more from the south west it felt a lot warmer. (I think that might be part of one of those circumhorizontal halos in the photo above.) I painted another coat of black on the conservatory radiators before breakfast and then later, as it's only a cosmetic job finished off with some black spray paint. After breakfast I went into town first stopping outside one of the charity shops to unload the boxes of books and DVDs and then on to the dump to get rid of the 2 bikes. The frames got tangled up when I tried to get them out of the car and I ripped the side of my little finger which was rather painful. Luckily I had a clean tissue with which to stem the blood and I asked one of the workers at the dump to take the frames out for me. They always will help if you ask. Then I called in at Lidl's which surprisingly does not sell plasters but their Easter chocolates were half price. That cheered me up especially as I could stock up on the marzipan and chocolate logs which will not be available until Christmas and are my favourites. I think that having things only at certain seasons like many fruit used to be, makes you appreciate them more rather than the all year round availability we have now. I also stopped at Tesco's to wash my finger and then put on a plaster which I bought there. I'm such a wimp.
Back home, once I had rested up from my trip to town I got on with some outdoor work. I've moved my gardening tools and 2 crates of plant pots into the old hen house and hopefully will clear the rest of my accumulated gardening junk to the dump. I'm pushing on with clearing everything from the scree garden outbuildings and painting the range before the swallows return. 
Part of my clearing up included burning some very old unusable wood. I love having a bonfire and always stay close by ostensibly to make sure everything is safe but really I just like to watch the flames. Today the wind was blowing the heat safely away from the apple trees. While I watched I amused myself by flicking stones from the veg garden on to the path with my long handled hoe which is just right for rearranging the burning wood and I did some hoeing too.
Then I had fun taking photos of the flames.  
All that is left is a glowing pile of embers which tomorrow I'll rake into the soil. 

No comments: