Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Tuesday 22 March 2016

Finally ....

It's only taken 3 1/2 years but at last the pipe carrying some defunct telephone cables across the stream has gone. We had 2 visits this year by BT men who came armed with a hacksaw, took one look at the steel pipe and left saying it needed a heavy duty cutter. Today 3 men in a van arrived all the way from Exeter (60 miles away) and yes they had an angle grinder. But no sooner had they started cutting than work came to a halt. Although an engineer had been down earlier in the year and cut the telephone cable they could see a large cable inside the metal pipe. Frantic phone calls to their boss, a bit more cutting and they realised it wasn't a big cable but a smaller plastic pipe. This they broke with a hammer and eventually decided the wire inside was just another useless phone cable. The cutting of the 6" steel pipe was quite a wet job and as the stream had filled up to the level of the pipe they had difficulty getting to the underside of the pipe. At last the pipe was removed and the holes on either side filled with cement. Apart from looking tidier without the pipe across the stream there won't be sticks catching on the pipe blocking the flow of the stream.
Once the men left there wasn't a lot of time for me to get on with my jobs around the place but I did hang the windchimes back up around the front door and have a sort out of the wood, mostly bits of chipboard, in the conservatory. 
At school I was asked to do my own thing with the children so I showed them a short clip about Easter and Easter eggs and then gave them some sheets printed with Easter eggs to colour. After work I walked to the library to get some books. When I got there the machine informed me I had a reserved book waiting for me, somehow their manual system of sending an email to say a reserved book is  in hadn't worked. When I reserve the next books I'll have to check again that they have the correct email address. Last time they had missed a letter out but that was corrected so I don't know what happened this time.

No comments: