Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Wednesday 8 March 2023

Very cold.

Woke this morning to almost a complete white-out with a very snowy looking sky. Sure enough it wasn't long before it began to snow dropping a topping of snow on the distant hills. It stopped for a while in the afternoon and it's just begun snowing again. I'm so glad I went to the zoo yesterday.
I had finally made up my mind to go to choir tonight and washed and dried my hair but with the latest lot of snow falling I think it might be sensible to stay home as there won't be any gritting done on the back road I use to get there. And now it looks like the internet may have failed as none of my pages will open. Oh, it's back again so while it's working I'll email my apologies for tonight.
The electrician was here first thing to make it so that one of the outside lights can be switched on from the utility room. I'm not sure why he and Peter thought it was a better idea to have the switch in the garage. That didn't take long and now we'll be able to find our way to the garage without relying on light from the house windows.

My main job for today was to move all the boxes and other things that still haven't been found a place to be, over to the other side of the hall. Then we used an electronic stud finder and drilled holes in the wall to locate the studs in that wall. (The red dots in the photo.) I took some photos and using the Paint programme (I guess they call it an app these days) drew a number of options for the design of the shelves taking into account where we will be able to fix the shelf brackets. This is the design we both think works best.
With both of us being avid readers and lovers of books (both of us were single children and I didn't have a tv until after we got married) bookshelves were the first of our DIY projects in all our homes. We started with rough scaffolding planks supported by loose bricks in our first flat, moved onto shelves built into the alcoves of our Victorian house and then floor to ceiling bookshelves in our farmhouse home. And soon we should have elegant white shelves all along the wall to transform the hall into a modest library. 
We've just had a couple more power cuts so I'll finish and post.


 

No comments: