Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Tuesday 30 October 2018

Cold.

We had a frosty morning that turned into another crisp, cold day. With nothing scheduled for the day we decided to go up to Mortehoe for a coast walk. We parked outside the Post Office as usual and walked along the road that leads out to Bull Point Lighthouse.
It was quite warm walking in the sun and sheltered from the wind. I was glad that I had chosen to wear shorts but I needed a hoody to ward off the chill from the somewhat icy wind. Plenty of baaing in the air as a farmer moved sheep to another field. 
The track follows the high ground giving great views out to sea with Lundy on the horizon. The air was clear enough to make out Lundy's lighthouses and the church. 
When our knees are fitter we'll take one of the side paths, slippery mud through the trees, that lead down to the stream far below the high point which gave us a good view of the cove known as Bennet's Mouth. 
For today the first part of our walk was an easy stride along the road leading to the automatic lighthouse and holiday cottages that were once the lighthouse keepers' accommodation. 
Having reached the lighthouse we then followed the paths that run along the top of the cliffs heading back to Morte Point. The whole walk was only four miles it was mostly up and down including three steep flights of steps. I'll post more pictures tomorrow but included the one below taken half-way up the first set of steps with a gate right at the bottom to give an idea of scale.
Back home there was housework to finish before getting ready for my Pilates class. We had Tony tonight. His class is Pilates only so although we get plenty of stretching and twisting it isn't the energetic session we have with Sandra which leaves me in a puddle of sweat. I like both styles but feel I need to exercise aerobically. Although I've been active all my life I haven't done much that is strenuous apart from the occasional sawing down of trees. Even cycling 6 miles to work every day was at a sedate pace, riding horses is about skill and when I took up jogging that wasn't fast and after I got up to nearly 2 miles at a time my knee gave out and the doctor advised me to stop. I'm working on increasing the resistance on the exercise bike to build up muscles rather than just to maintain flexibility. Hopefully at some point my fitness will improve. After all I'm only 62.

1 comment:

happyone said...

I'd love to walk there!!! The sun makes such a difference even when it is cold.