Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Saturday 13 October 2018

Windy.

A very windy day again and with the winds blowing from the south strangely warm. It was wet in the morning but fortunately dry for the rest of the day. I say fortunately because I was headed into town to attend an afternoon tea party at Tea on the Taw, an old fashioned style tea room down by the river. This was to celebrate the 60th birthdays of two friends who had gone through school together and stayed in contact all their lives. One is a very good friend of mine and I knew the other from the time we worked at the same school. We were plied with Prosecco (I had elderflower fizz) and then treated to a savoury buffet and home baked cake followed by a slice of the enormous coffee birthday cake made by our old headteacher who is famed for her lovely cakes. It was lovely to catch up with old colleagues swapping news (and ailments) and hearing how children and grandchildren are getting on. 
I walked down Pilton Street to town enjoying the invigorating  wind and then had a lift home from one of my ex-colleagues who also lives in Pilton.
The local florist shop had a tasteful pumpkin themed window display. In town itself there were plenty of very tacky Halloween decorations/accessories on sale to cater to the recent trend to try and emulate American culture. I think it's mainly families with children and the accepted code is that children should only knock on doors that have a pumpkin outside. 

1 comment:

Harriet said...

Ruta, you really hit a nerve...Halloween crap. Here in the states, I am so saddened to see what was a fun child night turned into too much junk and long in the tooth children. I refuse to do as my neighbors. On Halloween night, I do put my ceramic pumpkin in the front window, I have for 50+ years given 'treat bags' filled with 3 candies-usually a sucker, piece of gum and one special treat such as a small candy bar. I enjoy very much little children!