Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Monday 15 June 2020

Grey.

All day dark grey clouds have loomed overhead looking as if there was going to be a deluge at any moment.  It did rain eventually but not until the end of the afternoon. A good thing too as I had washing out on the line for most of the afternoon.
My day did not begin well when I discovered that the latest computer updates have installed Windows Edge. What I don't understand is why every 'upgrade' results in things that were done with one click taking at least two or more clicks. As to allowing Flash Player so that I can do my on-line jigsaws that ended up with some bad language due to the new instructions being impossible to follow. Luckily Peter was able to give some helpful advice and that problem is now solved. Basically Windows is rubbish (and they don't pay their taxes here) but as the only alternative is to make the complete change to Mac there's not much I can do. 
The afternoon was spent on my latest project to improve the conservatory. Cutting the wood I bought to fit along the sides sounds very simple but for someone with my minimal carpentry skills was a challenge. Just manoeuvring the strips of wood to lay them across two chairs for cutting or butting them up against each other to check the mitre joints was a test of my patience. Not only were there the mitre joints to make but there were vertical plastic covering strips to be taken account of. I worked out how to saw off a piece off the bottom of the two strips that ran down the side panels so that the wood could slip under them and I cut bits out of the wood to fit around the other bumps.

During the afternoon the relative quiet  was disturbed by a military plane flying very low circling the military airfield at Chivenor.
Today there has been yet another easing of the lockdown as all shops are now allowed to open. They still have to maintain social distancing which everyone is used to from the supermarkets. Yesterday our idiot Prime Minister was exhorting us all to go out and shop despite the continuing deaths from Covid especially in urban areas. While I too would love to go out for a mooch around the shops I'll hold back unless there's something I really need. 

1 comment:

lea said...

Ha ha, your idiot and our idiot. Here's a gem of a comment he made,

"If we stop testing right now, we'd have very few cases, if any," the president said Monday during an event for seniors at the White House.

I really like my Mac, but I will not do an update to the latest OS (it's not automatic thankfully). If I did I would not be able to download audiobooks from my library and I love having them to listen to.