Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Saturday 20 June 2020

Small World, Again.

It's been a bright and breezy day. We spent some time sitting out this afternoon and it got very hot until the clouds began to gather.
It was an interesting viewing this morning. We were right in recognising the name but they had in fact been a no-show which it turns out had been due to the estate agent using an out of date email. The couple came with their two sons so they took it in turns to be shown around the house. I first gave them latex gloves to wear and checked that they were happy to be shown around with me maintaining a 2m distance. Peter stayed out in the garden reading. During the general chat it turned out that the mum came from Churchill, a hamlet very close to Dingles, and had been down to the stables when she was younger. Once she mentioned that she had kept her horses in the field in the corner by Ashford I knew exactly who she was though I only remembered her maiden name and not her first name until after the visit. I think they liked the place and very importantly the older boy will be starting at Pilton Community College in September. That's only five minutes walk away, (Where I used to go for Pilates.) They are moving from Bideford to Barnstaple to be near the school. However they are also looking at two other properties, both bigger and cheaper but do-it-uppers and not in such a nice area. We can only hope.
Viewings are always an emotional roller-coaster. First the rushing around tidying and putting away everything that's not nailed down. Then the anticipation of the viewing, the viewing itself where you try to mention all the important and positive points followed by a quiet wondering about the result and relaxation in a very tidy and calm house. After all that it's hard to settle down. I occupied myself by trimming the blob bush again. Later I extended my piano practice routine with some sight reading (to extend the neural pathways). Sight reading never came easy and today Peter came to ask if I was alright when he heard loud groans as I hunted for the notes for some chords. I mean, who writes d sharp and a sharp just because the other two notes in that chord are also sharp? Along with three sharps in the left hand no wonder I was struggling. This was in  The March of the Ents (LOTR TT) not too hard to play piano score. It was fun building up the volume and my piano was getting an enthusiastic bashing though later I realised I could have turned up the volume to achieve the same effect.
I'm really glad I paid so little for that varnish because it has turned out to be totally the wrong colour. The floorboards are a browny oak colour and the varnish has given the trim a very yellow appearance. I'm wondering if the application of some brown shoe polish might tone down the yellow though I've a suspicion I may have thrown out the last of the shoe polish tins.
Update on yesterday's classroom photo. They do have equipment for the children to work/play with but it has to be disinfected after use so the amount is limited and nothing soft.

4 comments:

happyone said...

Sounds promising! Know what you mean about the roller coaster!!

lea said...

Is that double flower a hardy geranium, I see foliage of a geranium below the blooms? I really like that flower, it would be fun to try and find one here.

Ruta M. said...

You're right Lea, it is a double hardy geranium. Sadly I misplaced another double which had a dark purple flower. I found that hardy geraniums did very well on the poor soil at Dingles and most importantly did not get munched by the hoardes of slugs. I ended up with at least 20 different varieties and I have at least 12 varieties here which will be moving to Wales.

lea said...

Thank you, I have 5 or 6 varieties and will be looking for more. Slugs are a big problem here too! I help a friend with the landscaping around her pet's Veterinary clinic (bills $$) and I planted a bank with Carex grass (Toffee twist) and hardy geraniums. They have thrived with virtually no care, no summer water, they're just amazing.