Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Tuesday 16 June 2020

High Street Shopping.


Today I took myself off to the High Street. There were some things I needed and I hoped that it wouldn't be too crowded with people enjoying the opening of so many more shops. 
Yes, it was very busy. There were long queues waiting to go inside certain shops but I found that by moving on to the next place I ended up only queueing once and that was only for a short time. I was still one of very few people wearing a face mask/covering. I hadn't worn surgical gloves but my hands have never been so sanitized. Every shop had dispensers on the way in and on the way out which I made good use of.
I had hoped to get some varnish for the wood strips in the conservatory but unfortunately the only small tin of non-clear varnish in Wilko's was gloss. Matt or silk would have done but the gloss would be too much of a contrast. I'll have to get some from B&Q when I do the next supermarket shop. I have to say that Wilko's has been a godsend during the lockdown. Whereas Woollies was filled with so much unneeded rubbish - plastic toys, sweets etc. so no wonder they eventually went bust, Wilko's sells things you need; cleaning goods, bathroom products, garden items, pet supplies and my favourite - DIY goods and home goods. And there's always the thrill of finding a bargain on the small 'reduced' stand. I may not have found the varnish I needed but I did get get a pack of 10 coloured fineliners, a pack of 3 decent biros and a holographic zip up notebook holder with the notebook all with 75% off. I think that was the end of a unicorn themed range and fed right into my fondness for shiny things.
The sky had been filled with clouds when I set off but it felt very warm so my only precaution was to make sure I had a plastic bag in my back pack. That wasn't for me but to keep my electrical gadgets - phone, phone that's not a phone and the heart monitor, dry. Just as I was leaving the High Street there were some loud rumbles overhead which could either have been thunder or a low flying aircraft. Then walking back up Pilton Street (above) I felt a drop of rain and heard definite thunder above. That got me increasing my speed from my usual amble to other people's normal walking speed. Actually since my meds have been sorted I don't seem to get so puffed out or maybe that's just optimism. I kept the speed up until I turned into our estate. There I was slowed down, firstly by a number of highways vehicles parked all over the place as they dug up and renewed the lowered sections of the pavement that allow people to park in their front gardens. and secondly by meeting up with one of our neighbours who had been out for a very long walk pushing her new granddaughter. We chatted our way up the close and still the rain and thunder held off. Half an hour later there was a significant amount of heavy rain and later the rain became torrential with thunder crashes and one loud crack of lightning as the thunderstorms moved across the sky. 
One of the items on my shopping list was a lemon. This was for a lemon drizzle cake which I've already baked. I used a Mary Berry recipe which was surprisingly simple. Just mix everything together! I suppose that's for people who have one of  those fancy cake mixers. I had all the correct ingredients but couldn't resist adding some candied peel and glace cherries that had been sitting in the cupboard. I had a test slice with my supper and it was very nice.
PS Getting to 'Comments' may still need a couple of tries.

No comments: