Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Saturday 12 May 2018

Bright.

It's been a nice bright day today.
While our meticulous indoor builder got on with hanging the three new doors I worked happily outside.
After a second coat of wood stain I lined the inside of the planter with builder's polythene and remembering to make drainage holes filled the planter. Six and a half bags of compost plus a tomato grow bag were just about sufficient. I then had a long break with a refreshing cup of Earl Grey while I worked out which plants to put in the planter. Ideally I would have used only grasses and sculptural plants but my hardy geraniums needed a home so in went a selection of white, purple and lavender flowered varieties. To provide some winter colour (I reckon we'll still be here for at least one winter) I put in a blue grass and a copper coloured carex. I also put some of the white old-fashioned pink which has blue foliage all year round. The final touch was to add anti-cat sprigs of holly. The rapidly shrinking holly bush in the front garden is proving useful.

Having glass panels in the kitchen door lets in so much light and will give me an extra incentive to keep the kitchen  tidy. Looking towards the front of the house it looks marginally darker as the old door there had glass top and bottom and there was no door at all to the living room. However once everything is painted white it will look much better. I've been given exact instructions on painting the doors; 2 applications of knotting, primer, undercoat and then the satin top coat, all to be done before next weekend when the lumpy wall will be skimmed.
Looking forward to our annual evening of cheesy Eurovision entertainment. This is the one time we treat ourselves to a selection of snacks and nibbles. Spare ribs, hummus & pitta bread, pretzels and popcorn are on the menu I believe. 
PS I've narrowed down the food caddynapper to one household. It's the messy family as I suspected. 

2 comments:

happyone said...

I like the door with the windows. My pantry door is going to be similar but has three windows.
Glad to hear you find out who the caddy nappers are. : )

Ruta M. said...

The only trouble is that I'm not sure what kind of reception I'd get if I knocked on their door asking for my caddy back. My only hope is that they eventually decide to put it out for re-cycling.