Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Wednesday 2 May 2018

Windy.

It was raining first thing this morning, something I was glad about as it meant that the builder wouldn't be arriving until 9.00 and we didn't have to jump straight out of bed. (We did spend years getting up at 6.00 so appreciate being able to catch up on sleep.) The rain died down about then and for the rest of the day it has been sunny and very windy.
Good progress has been made in the back garden. The supporting beams for the top area of decking have been put in ready for the planks to go down tomorrow. It was a fiddly job getting the levels correct so that the deck is mostly level with a slight slope to one side to allow the water to drain off and it certainly isn't a job I would have liked to tackle myself.
Once the planks were taken up from the two lower levels we could see that the supporting beams were mostly in good condition. Apart from the planks having been put too close together the main fault in the construction was that the cross beams were too far apart. We were expecting that the whole lot had rotted and would need replacing so that was a bonus. 
This dry windy weather will help all the wood dry out so that we see which planks are the best to re-use for the top deck. The rest will go to making boxes that I can just sit all the pots in. 
For my part I made cups of coffee, tried not to spend too much time distracting the builder and stuck to indoor work. I brushed out a fluffy fleece top and attempted to mend the zip on a Navy waterproof jacket that I'm fond of. No luck with the zip repair but it does have Velcro fastening all down the front too which will have to do. I've also been trying to learn the body percussion, or as Peter calls it the Bavarian Slapping dance, with not a lot of success. Tonight should  be fun.

No comments: