Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Sunday 27 May 2018

Hot.

This was yesterday's evening sky which with hot winds blowing from the south was the prelude to a severe thunderstorm. Before the arrival of the storm three out of the four acers in pots blew over. We heard some banging which made us think the cats were raiding the kitchen bin but it was the sound of the stones around the trees hitting the decking as the pots fell over. I wedged the trees in place with the garden chairs and tied one to the fence and still had to go out again to right one of the trees.
It wasn't until we had gone upstairs for the night that the thunderstorm kicked in. I love watching lightning and found the best view was from Peter's study. The thunder was crashing overhead but the lightning would come from the south (behind those tall trees), then in front (east) and also from the north. The storm lasted for an hour and the lightning flashes were coming every 2-5 seconds. Eventually the storm moved westwards out over the sea which meant I had a good show from my study at the front of the house where I have a 180 degree view. I later heard on the news today that there were over 15 thousand lightning strikes in the south of England last night. More thunderstorms are predicted tonight but further north though it has been hot and muggy here.
Today, while Peter went off to do his annual barman stint at the Beer Festival in the Pannier Market I carried on painting the hall. 
Before I could start I noticed yet another wallpaper edge coming away from the wall. As it was on the corner over the deepest drop of the stairs I was faced with a problem. While I could do part of it by leaning over the bannister a large section was out of reach. Should I pretend I hadn't seen it? Or go and get the ladder from the garage so I could somehow balance over the drop or....? It was only when Peter said it was a shame I didn't have stretchy arms (we watched the film The Fantastic Four last night) that the solution came to me. I taped my artist's paintbrush to a length of wood and applied the glue that way and then replaced the brush with some kitchen roll to smooth down the edges.
Although I find using a small radiator roller brush suits me I had to admit that a full sized roller would be quicker and give a better finish so today I used the long handled big roller that Peter had got me. That really needed two hands to wield and by the time I had finished painting all the upstairs walls and ceilings my sweat was literally dripping onto the floor. I was so happy to get changed and sit outside with a large cup of Earl Grey. Peter had come home by that time, not too merry on unlimited free beer, and joined me for a well earned break. 


2 comments:

Harriet said...

Wonderful photos! Necessity is thw mother of invention....you solved your glue dilemma.

happyone said...

A clever way to fix that wallpaper. : )
I too like to watch the lightning.