Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Wednesday 16 May 2018

Cold.

It's been cold and wet for most of the day which made it a good day to paint doors. I began by preparing the doors in the correct manner; sanding the plastic moulding around the glass, wiping down everything and protecting the handles. I'm sure other people have thought of this as well but I thought I'd try tucking cling film under the plates once they had been loosened. I even put masking tape over all the hinges and latches. The cling film worked quite well but in some places didn't leave a smooth finish to the paint. I didn't use masking tape on the glass because I've not had good results with it in the past. (16 panes of glass in each of the 3 stable doors at Dingles.) Instead I cleaned as I went along.
The undercoat paint was really hard to paint with as it was very thick and needed white spirits for cleaning. Not only that but my main paintbrush was a cheap one and eventually every stroke left a couple of bristles behind. That brush is now in the bin.  It took a long time to paint all three doors and by 6.30 I had had enough. Before coming upstairs just now I put builder's caulk in each of the tiny holes left by the pins fixing the mouldings to the door.
I was almost past noticing anything this evening but from my spot on the sofa I could see a pretty evening sky. 

2 comments:

happyone said...

NICE doors and I like the handles you have instead of knobs.

Ruta M. said...

We could have chosen cheaper doors but I do like to have lots of light and not feeling closed in. The handles are a close match to the upstairs handles but we think we will have that type of handle in our next home as not only are they much easier to use for our arthritic hands but they can be opened with your elbow when your hands are carrying things.