Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Monday 24 June 2019

Dry.

It was a chilly morning with the sea mist obscuring the world beyond the river. The sun broke through later on and there were some brief but very hot spells in the afternoon.
Yesterday somebody got in touch with me about the tent and arranged to collect it this morning. Great news except that in the ad. I'd said I'd include a mallet. But could I find that mallet? I'd seen it in the box marked 'camping equipment' up in the loft. Held it in my hand wondering if it would be useful to have in the camper and then ………… put it down somewhere. I went up in the loft twice yesterday looking for it and again this morning and searched the house but it was not to be seen. I may well have tucked it out of sight on one of the pre-viewing tidies. In the end as I had a couple of things to put back in the garage I thought I'd try there. Opened the garage door and hey presto! there was a mallet. The weird thing was  that it wasn't the one from the loft. I popped the mallet in the tent bag, breathed a sigh of relief and then after all that the person never turned up.
So far the bandages have stayed on Speedy's feet. I used some extra longer finger plasters and on the worst foot I added strapping taking it above the joint. I've also stopped giving him the steroid tablets for the time being. They were to ease the itching partially/wholly triggered by flea bites but the fleas have gone at last, and the vet did say the steroids would slow the healing process.  I'll see how it goes. 
While deadheading the rose bush and picking up fallen petals, real heavy duty work, I spotted this Scalloped Oak moth resting on a rose petal. To me the pattern looks like two nose to nose animals, deer maybe.
The council men came this morning and mowed the communal grass. They left the section I mowed so it is the only part of the grass without rows of grass cuttings. It was a shame to see all the wildflowers chopped down. With people caring more about the environment and the natural world we are constantly being exhorted to allow the wildflowers to grow in our lawns. I've noticed one lawn nearby completely filled with white clover and the purple flowers of bugle. There's another lawn round the corner which has those and tall ox-eye daisies. A real flowering meadow.
I can't get enough of these lovely Sweet Juliet scented roses.
The day ended with a beautiful sunset. The many and varied lavender grey clouds were lit up from below with a deep pink glow which deepened over the evening. I try not to torment myself with wondering how that looked over Cardigan Bay. Instead I'm trying to find useful things to do to make our eventual move go more smoothly. This afternoon I finished off the great pile of discs and got as far as October in 2015.

No comments: