Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Wednesday 13 November 2019

Cold.

A cold grey day that eventually gave way to icy rain and yet another weather warning. Thankfully phrases such as 'possible flooding' and 'snow on higher ground' no longer cause me to go through a severe weather check list and I can relax in our warm home.
Snow on Dartmoor today. (Photo from the web.)
I had a phone call from my GP to discuss the cardiologist's letter which we both had, which said that my low iron levels, just above anaemic, was a likely cause of my symptoms. I've always been aware that my low meat diet means I need extra iron so I take a daily multi-vitamin+iron tablet and have done for years but it obviously isn't quite enough. I'm going to take high dose iron tablets for a couple of months. After that I've found a very good source of iron. A 100 gm bar of dark chocolate contains 11.9 gm of iron which combined with the 14gms in the vitamin tablet is more than the recommended daily amount of 17gms. I can cope with that.
I was having a break at my pc with Speedy climbing on my lap when we were repeatedly interrupted by the sound of a low flying helicopter which had me looking out of the window to see what was going on. I saw that it was the police helicopter, not the air ambulance or a military helicopter, which kept circling at a very low height over the centre of town. I later found out that they were searching for a person who was threatening to self-harm. The person was safely found and taken to be looked after. Mental health services are yet another sector that is seriously underfunded though right now with the forthcoming election all the political parties are making generous promises that no doubt will be forgotten once the election is over.
My afternoon was once more spent working on the chair cover. It's quite strenuous work as there's a lot of lifting involved each time I put the cover on the chair either to make some initial pinning or check that my tacking is in the right place. I have tried sewing while the cover is still partly on but I think that's a false economy.

1 comment:

happyone said...

Glad to hear the found the person who they were looking for.
Pretty cold here this morning. 8 degrees F which I think is -13C.