Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Sunday 10 November 2019

Sunny.

Lovely blue skies today. A respite for all the areas of the country that have either been flooded or are under flood warnings. It seems that extreme weather is just one more sigh of the damage we have done to this planet. However today was a good time to carry on with working on the conservatory. 
With brute strength and the aid of a small crowbar I was able to prise off the two internal fascia boards above the doors. It's quite unnerving to be forcing off something made of plastic (PVC) and wondering if it's going to snap but so far I've been lucky. After doing that I could see a definite gap between the sliding door frame and the metal structure. Surely that's where water is getting in? I carefully dried both sides and sealed it from the outside. I didn't put any sealant on the inside because the fascia board has a ledge that pushes into there. I've left the fascia boards off until the next heavy rain as no doubt the rain may be getting in somewhere else as well.
Look, daylight.
I also found that my latest method of closing off the tube of sealant actually worked. I had unscrewed the nozzle, cleared all the unset sealant out of it with kitchen roll and placed a piece of heavy plastic packaging onto the tube before screwing the nozzle back on. Peter tells me that you can buy little caps to screw on to keep the tube airtight but I haven't known about them and if this method works I'll go with it.
After my exertions in the conservatory there was still some time to sit and do more hand sewing of the chair cover. Not a bad day's work. 

No comments: