Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Saturday 30 November 2019

Cold.

I walked into town this morning but it was only as I emerged from the shelter of Pilton Street that I felt the full force of the bitter easterly wind. 
The minimalist Christmas lights were on in the High St. and the Salvation Army band was playing Christmas carols. (The stains on the Guildhall are from the floral display put there to mark the beginning of Barnstaple Fair.) 
I had to visit the bank to make a payment to our window suppliers. The inconvenience of having to go to the bank in person to pay big bills is far outweighed by knowing that the money in our savings account is as safe as possible. I also went to the library to make coloured photocopies of my Christmas letter. It was a bit pricey but the quality was good. With nothing else on my list I had a quick browse around the shops. Croyde Crafts had a pop-up shop in Green Lanes with lots of really nice decorative items, jewellery and preserves. I was impressed by some stunning felted animals which were works of art but wasn't permitted to take photos. However a little hunt on the web produced this photo of the same animals.
Each time I reach the top of Pilton St. I stop for a moment to admire this clematis covered with flowers. 
As I made my way home I decided it would be a good day for apple pancakes so later on I made a batch. Then it was time to look in my box of cards and remember all the bargains I bought last January. As I have some cards to send abroad I went through my handy list and wrote out all my cards. This time I also made a note of which cards I've sent as I bought a couple of packs of one kind and wouldn't want to send somebody the same card two years running. I have enough really nice cards to last for a few years by which time I may be making my own cards. Cards done there was still time to complete the fitting of the footstool cover which now looks pretty good. 

No comments: