Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Saturday 16 May 2020

Colder.

Once again it was hot in the sun with a cool wind but eventually the clouds covered most of the sky lowering the temperature noticeably. 
We set up the loungers and sat outside while it was still hot. I think it's going to take a very long time to finish mending Peter's t-shirt as Lillian Beckwith's amusing account of Hebridean life wins every time.
I had a baking session before I went outside. I was going to try to bake a coffee chiffon cake. Had a recipe and all the ingredients but when I tried to separate the eggs they weren't fresh enough and two yolks broke into the whites before I could fish them out. I had a quick look through a recipe book and went for a madeira cake instead, but with coffee in. 
I wasn't sure how much coffee to add so went for 20gms which was the amount needed for the chiffon cake recipe. The cake was slightly bitter so I used up the remains of some icing sugar to make some icing. More of a sweet coffee flavoured icing would be perfect if I make this cake again. 
I discovered why there were drips of blood around the place after Peter's mandolin misadventure. he'd nicked three of his fingers! The mandolin came with a spiked guard to hold whatever you're slicing so I'm not sure what Peter did. BTW make-up wipes are perfect for wiping blood off painted walls.

No comments: