Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Friday 22 May 2020

Windy.

A big change in the weather. The wind began to pick up yesterday evening and it rained during the night. Today has been warm but with a veritable gale blowing. Sitting in my study the sun streaming through the window is heating up my back while the window into which I've jammed a piece of wood is letting in tiny but fierce gusts and the sound of the roaring wind. Out in the back garden the poor rose bushes are surrounded by a veritable carnage of scattered petals.
We had some excellent news today, with the paperwork completed Vytas and Sally now have the keys to their new house. So glad that they're finally out of rented accommodation. We had a disappointing letter a couple of days ago saying that the windows suppliers would be starting production on the 6th of July and installation should be 12 weeks after !!!!! Peter spoke to the installer today and we can breathe a big sigh of relief. We should expect installation two weeks after the 6th of July. Phew. Apart from Peter having a good relationship with the boss anyway I think all the help he was able to give him regarding the attempted email scam has also helped. 
Last night was the 9th week of the 'Clap for Carers' and as usual I clapped from the sitting room window. It was funny to see the cows, the ones with the white calf who have only just appeared on the hillside, react to the sound of clapping, whistles and pots being banged by heading away to the top of the hill. There is a call for the clap to stop next week and for the politicians to show appreciation by increasing the pay of all these workers who have put their lives at risk to protect the rest of us.  
Today I needed to go out to collect the latest medication and indeed the last option suggested by my doctor and I combined this with our usual household shopping. Not only were the numbers of cars and people around increased again but in Boots things had also changed. More people allowed inside and although the counters still had the Perspex screens and the 6ft spaces were in place none of the members of staff wore gloves, masks or eye shields. I wonder how they feel about that? Fewer members of the public wearing masks and/or gloves too. I called in at Wilko's for some washing up brushes and garden canes of the right length which saved me a trip to BJ's. I checked out the reduced corner and ended up with some white plastic cutlery trays and a dish drainer which I thought would be useful for storing craft/DIY tools. Added to my pile were a couple of rectangular duck-egg blue cushions which with a couple of loops sewn on will make handy back cushions either for our dinning chairs or the outdoor bistro chairs. In Lidl's I treated myself to some extra ice-cream as I find it cheers me up when I'm feeling rough. They don't have a vast range of flavours but it's good continental ice-cream. There's much more choice in Tesco's but unless you buy the very expensive brands it's poor quality in comparison. In Tesco's I found this lone Calla lily at almost a third of the regular price. Before finishing shopping I went to the home goods section hoping to pick up a few more white towels but the half-price offer was over. There was further disappointment when the big re-cycled glass bowls which on reflection I thought would be good for some of my bog plants had all gone. Should have got them last week.
After the traffic chaos at Woolacombe beach it's been announced that the car parks will be closed for now. Peter spoke to our builder in Borth where there were just 7 people on the beach. Wales has not lifted the lockdown restrictions so driving to go somewhere for exercise is still not allowed. With only a couple of roads leading to Borth it has been easy for the police to set up road blocks and turn people away.

No comments: