Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Wednesday 20 May 2020

Roasting.

Incredibly hot today, the official temperature here was 26C/79F making it the hottest day of the year for the whole country, no doubt even hotter out in our garden. By mid- morning the police were already posting on FB saying that all roads to the North Devon coast were grid locked and to keep away. Apart from all cafes and restaurants being shut so are all public toilets. Saunton car park had to be closed and parking was a nightmare anywhere near the beaches. We contented ourselves with sitting outside for part of the afternoon. 
Out on the hill a small white calf could be seen out with the cows. 

On and off during the day the buzz of a chainsaw has been filling the air. A close squint at the centre of the photo above (taken through Peter's window) should reveal a tree surgeon dangling from ropes. So far he has limbed three trees but I suspect that those trees will be coming down completely. I know I've cut down trees in my time but I do enjoy the sound of the wind rushing through those trees. 
Between us Peter and I cut the grass out front. Peter mowed, I did the grass box emptying and then mowed our tiny lawn. It's amazing what a pair of poorly old folk can do. I had my phone appointment with the doctor this afternoon. Apart from another change in my pain meds (fast running out of options) it is likely that the cold I'm suffering from has triggered a long standing inflammation of the rib cartilage. I don't recall feeling so bad with a cold before, not surprising when my temperature is down to 33.5C at times. All viral so I just have to wait it out.
This morning I had yet another attempt to buy the sink base unit. Eventually I ended up placing my order with a real live person only to find out that at the moment they are not delivering to that area. The sink itself has already arrived and I'm toying with the idea of buying the tap at a local branch of Screwfix and sending it up by post. Peter's keeps phoning round but there's still no sign of any plaster.

No comments: